Monday, January 23, 2012

The good, the bad and the ugly?

The bad is that I have fever again.  The ugly may be what's causing it.  I have an 11:30 appointment with my internist and, hopefully, will find out then.

Meanwhile, though, I have had lots of success with my activated implant so far this week.  I came home with 4 programs in my processor.  I left the audiologist's office in the 2nd, with a weaker one to fall back on if I felt I needed it.  I am now in the 3rd, half-way up in volume and I'm sure I'll end up in the 4th before I go back to the audiologist on Friday.  I am supposed to increase the volume and the program as much as I can.

I have only minimal squeaks and scrapes.  Most of the conversations I hear I can understand as just that, some with a high-pitched Darth Vader tinge.  I spent Saturday night as part of a family celebration in a large, noisy steak house.  I could understand some of the conversation around our table, but by no means all.  I did clearly hear the waitress describe the specials at the table next to ours, and I could have repeated them back to our table, but when the waiter was describing them to us, I could not understand him.  Go figure!  I'm used to having  more trouble with women's voices than with men's.

I heard the ping when my husband backed our car up yesterday morning, signifying that he was getting close to something behind him.  I haven't heard that for years!

At a family brunch yesterday with four jabbering kids under the age of 7, I heard more Darth Vader than at any other time.  I had lots of trouble understanding what the kids were saying, but not as much as I normally do.

After my initial difficulty putting the processor and magnet thing on my head on Saturday morning, I have now succeeded several times, but never the first time I try.  It usually takes me half a dozen attempts.  It is really working well but I do have a tender spot on the back of my ear, where it rubs, which I'll need to figure out how to minimize. 

I'm also working on using my new Kindle to read to me so I can listen...I have gotten it to work, but I haven't figured out how to stop it except by turning it off and I haven't figured out how to find the words on the screen while the sound is coming out.  So that too is not easy.  What I was doing yesterday was to read the actual book, which I happen to have, while my Kindle speaks the text to me.  But when the phone rang I couldn't figure out how to stop it and so after the call I was faced with backing up so I could pick up where I actually stopped listening or starting over.  I started over. Everything seems to be an adventure.


Setting all the pieces up to charge overnight is becoming more routine, so I am more comfortable doing that.  There is less mystery in that process, but it's not all clear.  I haven't figured out, for example, how to tell if the disposable batteries are out of juice and I haven't figured out a system for rotating the rechargeable batteries so I don't always use the same one.  I also don't know if I need to turn the processor on before I try to attach it in place, or not.  It seems to work better for me if I do, but I think I read that it doesn't matter.  There's a lot to read and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment