Friday, January 6, 2012

One week till activation

One week from now I hope to be hearing something through my CI.  I have no idea what!  I keep thinking about an email that was sent to a member of a group I belong to, from a good friend of hers.  She basically said, "I can't wait till you're activated!  You're going to hate it!!"

I'm trying to keep that comment in mind so I will not be disappointed when I finally hear something.  I'd love to understand language, of course, but if it is just loud noise and I need to work to make sense out of it, that will be okay as long as my expectations are not set too high.  I just hope it works somehow!

My cold is almost entirely gone now and I don't sense much of a difference in my ability to carry on one-on-one conversations since before my CI.  I dealt with a "genius" at an Apple Store yesterday who was working to fix a problem on my computer and I only had to ask my husband for a translation twice during that interaction.  Today a friend was here helping me learn to use my new Kindle so I'll be able to practice listening and I figured out everything she was saying to me, one way or another.  That's about the way things went before my implant.  So if I am not one of the lucky implantees, and I don't get any benefit from the implant, I will not be much worse off than I was before I tried this.

But I plan to go for the gold--with practice, perseverance, and patience, as advised.  I hope to be able to document lots of CI moments, occasions when I am amazed by something I can hear again, but I am trying to recognize and accept that that may take a long time.

2 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have you in our thoughts and are hoping for the best. The Jersey Teppers

    ReplyDelete