Saturday, January 21, 2012

Not a walk in the park

Lest you and I both think this is going to be simple, let me describe how today has gone so far.  We woke up to 3 inches of new snow and needed to be at the tennis court less than two hours later.  So we dressed for tennis and went outside with our shovels and brooms to clean one car and clear a path.  I did not put my processor on for fear that it would fall off and end up in the snow.  We cleared enough and planned to head out, just as soon as I could get the processor on.  But I couldn't!  I fidgeted with it for 15 or 20 minutes, looking at the directions and photos and could not get the magnet to hold over its spot.  I simply couldn't find the spot!  So I grabbed everything and figured I'd get it on while we drove.  I did, finally, and went into the court with only my normal trepidation when I am filling in in a men's game.  The sounds I heard at first from the processor were a bit metallic and scratchy, but that soon disappeared and I was hearing just fine.

We played, poorly for the most part, and then suddenly my sound was dead and my processor was lying on the court.  It had simply fallen off.  I grabbed it, set it on the bench and finished our game without it.

We are back home but I do not have it back on yet.  I am about to read everything I have and figure out (hopefully) why I'm having trouble.  But I wanted to take you along on this trip and explain a bit about why it seems to be complicated.  First, I came home yesterday from the audiologist's with a suitcase (12 x 18 x 6) full of cochlear implant stuff.  It contains at least 14 boxes, several CDs, a box full of guides, chargers for everything (rechargeable batteries,  remote control, etc.), all of which seem mysterious.  I did succeed in hooking up everything last night before I went to bed so that it would all be charged this morning.  At least I think I did.  Perhaps I was supposed to charge the processor, too.  I didn't.

No one warned me that there would be all this stuff and that it would be this complicated, although I have read about magnets not being strong enough to keep the processor in place and about processors suddenly flying off and ending up stuck to some metal bar nearby.

So I am about to begin to wade through this information to learn how to use this wonderful gizmo.  I am still absolutely thrilled that I am on this journey and pleased that you are traveling with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment