Friday, February 3, 2012

Learning more

I found a terrific site for practicing listening.  It is a program for people trying to learn English as a second language, and it is perfect for new CI users.  It is http://www.rong-chang.com.  Scrolling down the main page, you can find stories grouped by level of complexity.  I started at low intermediate (I think) and am listening to one story after another.  I find that I can understand almost everything without looking at the text, which is there in front of me.  There are female and male readers, both of whom enunciate well.  It is a great "find."  In addition, when I go back in, after a pause of some kind, I can pick up where I left off.  The titles change color when I have listened to those stories.

Talk about listening, my audi tested my ability to hear sounds via my CI.  She wanted me to score between 40 and 15 db; I scored between 30 and 10, well into the "normal hearing" range.  She was happy and I am thrilled!

She also recommended another practice site.  It is The Listening Room, a service of Advanced Bionics.  It comes up via a Google search.  I haven't tried it yet.

I do find that my hearing deteriorates when I am tired, which I still am more than normal.  That deterioration is typical, I understand.  I am still bugged by a sore spot on the back of my ear, where the processor battery sits and probably rubs.  I am going to try to alleviate that soreness with mole skin.  I'll let you know if it helps.

I learned today that my remote does not turn itself off.  The processor does.  So I must remember to shut it down when I don't need it, like overnight or when it is stashed away in my purse or somewhere.

So here I am, two weeks after activation, absolutely amazed at all I can hear and understand.  What a gift this CI is!

No comments:

Post a Comment