Thursday, February 9, 2012

A shift in gears

Today I shifted gears with my listening practice.  I decided that I am wasting my time listening to the ESL stories because I can understand more than 98% of what they say.  So I brought back my Kindle with The Help as an audio book and started listening--without any words in front of me.  The narrator speaks with a Southern Black dialect and I cannot understand every word but I am able to follow much of what she says.  (I did read the book about nine months ago so I know the basic story.)  I believe that if I continue to listen to this story without reading any of it I will improve my comprehension.  So that's my plan.

Last night I attended a board meeting for an organization I am active in.  There are usually between 10 and 15 people at these meetings.  For the last year or so I have spent much of my time at these meetings frantically looking around the table to see who is speaking.  I have had no chance at understanding much of what was being said and so I have volunteered little on my own.  Well, last night I understood almost everything that was said, even from a man whose face was full of beard.  That was a major improvement.

I'm working on using my land line with my CI.  I find I can hear some of what's said when I hold the receiver slightly above my CI.  Doing that and looking at my captions means that I can just carry on a conversation, not very smoothly, but I can just about do it--with a few requests for repeats.  I do find that the quality of my conversations on my cell phone vary, too.  Sometimes I just need to turn around a bit to make the contact better but sometimes it is just not as easy as at other times and I don't know why.  Perhaps I'll figure it out over time.  Meanwhile I am practicing using the phone a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment