Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Some observations and experiences

Today was beautiful, sunny and in the mid-60s, so we went out walking.  I noticed that when the wind blew, the static sound--similar to what you hear when someone blows directly into a microphone--in my CI was much less overbearing than it had been in my hearing aids.  I had wondered how that would be.  I'm happy with my new knowledge.

I find that so far I can enjoy classical music better with my regular program than with my "music" program and that classical is much better, more normal, than jazz.  The jazz seems to be much more distorted and whiney or tinny in the higher notes.  With my regular program I am now able to understand most of the banter on our public radio station and to enjoy the classical music.  That's a huge improvement!

I did have an adventure yesterday.  When trying to switch programs via my remote, it refused to respond.  It stayed black.  I put it back into the charger, thinking that maybe the overnight charge had not taken, and left it there for a while.  It became fully charged quickly and when I unplugged it, it did open up properly but very quickly it died again, turned black, and refused to respond.  I emailed my audi in a panic.  Responding quickly, she made one brief suggestion and then said that if I still had trouble I should get hold of Cochlear customer support.  I did that and the Cochlear employee walked me through a basic restart of my remote.  That worked and I have not had any further problems with it...yet. 

One thing I learned during this process was that I was not turning the remote off correctly; rather I was waiting for it to turn itself off, as it does after a few seconds of inactivity.  I don't know if that was causing a problem.  A second thing I learned was the difference between "tapping" and "holding" the Cochlear button.

Next task: listening practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment