Monday, February 20, 2012

Remote problem again

My Remote froze on Saturday evening, for the second time.  When I reached Cochlear America customer service today, the technician walked me through the process of restarting it.  So it is functioning again at this point.  He said that if this happens a third time, they will send me a new remote.  

I did not panic this time because I realized that my CI was still able to work, although I did not know how to switch its programs without the remote.  That did not seem to be a major problem.  I believe my CI stayed in the Noise Program from Saturday evening until this afternoon, but I heard well and was not bothered by the difference.

I finally figured out how to us my Kindle the way I had originally intended to: listening to the book while having the pages open in front of me so that I can look if I need to.  I need to buy regular books (with words and pages), not Audible books (without words or pages).  Then I need to use the Text to Voice mechanism on the Kindle to have the book read to me.  I'll try that out as soon as I finish listening to The Help and understanding as much as I can without seeing any of the words.  I am nowhere near 100% in that endeavor.  In fact, I am struggling to follow the story.

I still find the telephone a challenge.  I can hear, and I have had successful conversations on my cell phone, but when I am seated at my desk I still tend to look at the captions.  I think they have become a kind of crutch for me and I need to wean myself off of them and try to focus on what I am hearing, not what I am seeing.  I'm working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment