Sunday, February 5, 2012

More progress

Last night we went to the movies.  Before my CI, we had almost totally stopped going to any movie theater that did not offer a captioned film.  So last night was an experiment.  We saw The Iron Lady and both of us were blown away by Meryl Streep's performance.  I understood almost everything that was said on screen and a lot of what was said from off the parameters of the screen itself.  That was a huge improvement!

Then this morning I initiated a conversation with a stranger in the ladies room at our gym.  It didn't occur to me how unusual that was until I was well into the conversation.  Then I realized that I had been avoiding conversations like that because I could not understand much of what was said and often didn't want to explain that I had a hearing problem.  I felt like I was coming out of my shell.  That, too, is progress.

One other observation, on the rong-chang listening practice website, I noticed that some of the stories were being read by the familiar female reader but that they sounded as if she were speaking down a tunnel or through a microphone.  They were more difficult for me to understand completely.  I needed to listen to some a second time and occasionally even to look at some of the words before I could understand them via hearing.

That's the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment