Friday, December 30, 2011

How do I hear that?

I was lying in bed last night waiting for sleep to find me, my deaf, implanted ear up in the air and my damaged ear sunk into the pillow, when I realized I was hearing something that sounded like rain outside or white noise.  I got up and wandered around to see what I could be hearing: it was our room humidifier.  How did I hear that?

It reminds me of a visit to my audiologist about a year ago, when I was living with two very powerful hearing aids and two very damaged ears (less than 5% hearing in either ear).  I had gone to a Philadelphia Orchestra concert a few days earlier that had been conducted by our incoming conductor, Yannick Nezet-Seguin.  He had pulled such a wonderful performance out of our group, with subtleties and nuances, variations in tone and crescendo, and feelings of soul, the likes of which I had never heard the orchestra perform that I could not help but rave about it.  My audiologist looked at me with amazement in his eyes and said, "How could you hear that?"  I don't know, but I did.  'Tiz a puzzlement, hmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment