Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pain versus lack of pain

I must say the pain killers work.  I was pain free for 9 hours on one full dose, until I was rudely awakened at 4 a.m., realizing that I needed more.  Then I had real trouble coming out of that foggy, groggy state when I had to wake up at 10:30 this morning.  So the question is, Should I be "with it" with some pain or "out of it" with no pain.   That will be the major decision I make today.

I post these experiences, not to get your sympathy, but so that those who are behind me in this path and will be getting an implant will know that there is some discomfort involved.  Not enough for me to question my decision but more than I was expecting from what I had read.  The good thing about it is that there is no stress pain, as from bending at the waist after an appendectomy or sitting on a new hip after a replacement or putting your weight on a new knee joint.  It is merely my body complaining about making room for something new in my cochlea, which the surgeon shoved in when there was no natural space designed for it.  For me, there has also been no surface pain from the incision. 

But, as Maurice says, We are each a snowflake, unique in our own way.  So your experience is likely to differ from mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment